About Our Service
The Swallowing Clinic provides in-depth assessment and treatment of swallowing disorders. Our clinic is run by a team of CASLPO Registered Speech-Language Pathologists.
Patients May Be Eligible for the Outpatient Swallowing Clinic If They:
- Are an adult, 18 years and over
- Are a resident of Mississauga or live in postal code regions M8WXYZ or M9ABC
- Live outside the catchment area but are an adult being referred by a physician with privileges at Trillium Health Partners
The Swallowing Assessment Includes:
- A thorough review of the patient's medical history
- Oral motor examination
- Videofluoroscopic Swallowing Study (VFSS) using barium contrast of various textures
- Detailed review of results and recommendations
- Individualized rehabilitation plan, if appropriate
*appointments typically last 2-2.5 hours
Initial visits are completed at Mississauga Hospital-100 Queensway West. Enter through the Main Entrance and turn right at the sign for Diagnostic Imaging. Register at the front desk.
Treatment of Swallowing Disorders
Some swallowing disorders can be treated with rehabilitation. If appropriate, a rehabilitation program can be arranged with a Speech-Language Pathologist. Therapy may be virtual (online, using a webcam) or in person, inside the Outpatient Neuro Rehabilitation Services department at Trillium Health Partners- Queensway site.
How to Refer
Physicians please complete and sign the Outpatient Videofluoroscopic Swallowing Study referral form or complete Epic Ambulatory Neuro Rehabilitation referral form and select Swallowing and VFSS.
Fax paper referral forms to: 416-521-4117. Please include relevant clinical information and test results (e.g. imaging results, consult notes)
Incoming referrals are triaged for urgency. Urgent cases can usually be scheduled within 1-2 weeks. Patients will be contacted directly by clinic staff with their appointment time.
For more information about the Swallowing Clinic, please contact 416-521-4141.